Pier got me interested in exploring VoIP, over the course of supper one evening.
My ISP BeThere, not only supply ample bandwidth, but also a wireless ADSL2 router with a built-in SIP ATA.
I started off by getting an account with VoipFone, they seemed to have a good balance of services and price. Not the cheapest calling rates, but no monthly fees and lots of services like voicemail and a virtual PBX etc. I setup the router with the account information, plugged in a normal phone and it all works!
I can make and receive calls via the old phone line and my new VoIP numbers.
I then wrote a little AppleScript plugin for AddressBook.app that gets it to dial a number via VoIP by requesting a URL on my router, which then rings my phone and puts me through, cool ;)
Next I started thinking ...... what else do I want this to do, apart from give me cheap phone calls?
My wish list includes :
* free phone calls, local, national, international
* give my family members free phone calls to each other (we live all over the world)
* cheaper mobile phone while I am abroad
* one phone number which will get me anywhere
* one voicemail box for every call, no matter how it gets to me
. . . to be continued . . .